Posts on WSCC indicate that you can simply drive the new bushing in from the top and displace the old one a little further down the column. After doing that and taking the car for a test drive, I discovered that the steering was much stiffer than before and it would no longer self center. Not good.
I then pulled out the column, thinking that I might have to remove the new bushing and mill it down a bit. After feeling around for a burr, and finding none, I decided to try reinstall the column and try it one more time before pulling the bushing. Much to my surprise the steering had freed up considerably. Weird. I reassembled everything and took the car for another drive, and all was back to normal…or so I thought. After getting the car back in the garage I discovered that the steering lock is acting up. It works fine if the key isn’t in the ignition, but it won’t lock if the key is in the ignition – even if the key is not turned. Not sure what is going on, but something ain’t right. My best guess is that I dislodged/broke something when I was pounding in the bushing. More research is required.